Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Elections matter analysis

Well that was the craziest mid term election in a long time. I am sure everyone is glad it is over. the question now is - what does it mean and what did it prove? What lessons can we learn from it?

The tv pundits will all comment, but they all seem to want to put their spin on things. I would rather take the engineering approach and look at the facts first.

Facts - This election set records for turnout in a mid term. That is good! If you vote you are invested. I hope all these voters pay more attention now and in the future. When you vote you get a sense of ownership as an investment. I hope everyone who voted holds their elected representatives accountable. Promises are cheap. Execution and results is what counts.

The GOP gained in the Senate and lost in the house. So we will have a divided government. Newsflash - we had a divided government last week too. The R party was divided into several camps, conservatives, RINOs, Dems in disguise, etc. One of the R congressman who lost was Sessions - Conservativereview.com website rated him an F anyway. My comment is - so if a Dem is now the congressman, big deal. We had a guy who voted with Dems 50% of the time anyway and most likely did not support Trump.

For a detailed review of the results see this article: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/10-observations-on-the-failed-blue-wave/

My personal opinion on this is that in a polarized climate - if you are a coward and do NOT take a stand - you will get run over. There are more R congressman with F ratings who may soon follow Sessions out the door. I worked the polls and voters talked to me - some commented that we need new blood in both parties. I AGREE 100%. We have people who do nothing in both parties that obstruct and slow walk everything so they can maintain power. They hide under the radar and say as little as possible to get elected. That's a shame. See this quote "Are we going to continue with the same failed House leadership under Kevin McCarthy? We need Jim Jordan as minority leader for two reasons..."

I think a good house cleaning (pun intended) on both sides is in order.

Maybe my next election slogan will be - "Vote out the Dinosaurs!"


Some of the high points should be obvious -

1. The Kavanaugh hearings made a significant difference energizing voters to come out and vote R even if they did not care for their representative. The Dems overplayed their hand to the point they alienated moderates. The energized voters came from multiple demographic categories (I'm not telling!)

2. Beto energized Dems to vote like never before - but he still lost. NOTE: he is keeping his $MILLIONS of campaign contributions. Did you know that he can pay himself a salary from these funds forever? He does not have to return these funds. He can retire if he wants to.

3. Lukewarm Repubs who stand for nothing except the swamp are a liability - if they do not embrace Trump policies they may lose again. I don't think they care. I remember years ago we had Bob Michel as the R leader - They consistently lost and he was ok with that because he wanted to be bipartisan - he was a great loser. He let the D party walk all over him and all he said was "Thank you." That will be the legacy of Paul Ryan too. He is a never Trumper and an obstacle for moving along the conservative agenda. The article states -
here is the exact quote from the article..


"Republicans only stand to benefit by fully embracing a coherent conservative agenda on immigration, terrorism, crime, and health care to not only jazz up the base and turn out the new Trump voters, but to win back some of those lost suburban votes."


4. We may have gridlock for two years. That could be a blessing or a curse. Too soon to tell. My personal, humble opinion - If the Congress is divided - then the defacto result is that TRUMP has even more power. He can claim to win either way - he can compromise with both parties and look like a great uniter, or he can stand on principle for certain issues - half will criticize him, half will praise him. So.. more of the same. What no one is talking about is that the only pragmatic result of this election is that both parts of Congress made things worse for themselves and they increased Trump's political power. I bet none of the talking heads pick up on that. I guess the political speak for this is "triangulation".


I learned a great deal by working the polls and talking to real people who vote - some of that I am keeping secret! If you want to learn that, I encourage you to work for a candidate or at the polls. It is very hard work, but you will get an education.

I want to close with a very sincere thank you those who supported me and gave me encouragement. I met a very nice lady who brought her 18 year old daughter to vote for the first time. I encouraged her, and encourage all parent to educate their children on AMERICAN history! I will make myself available to speak to young people and anywhere we have an opportunity to teach the next generation about our wonderful history. I will continue my website at mikeryantexas.com and facebook @mikeryanforcongress (if they let me) to hold people accountable, I hope you join me in that effort.

Lastly, remember these words:

As a congressman, James Garfield had stated at the 100th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1876: “Now more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave, and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature. … If the next centennial does not find us a great nation … it will be because those who represent the enterprise, the culture, and the morality of the nation do not aid in controlling the political forces.”

Demand better! God bless.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments positive and constructive, pragmatism and results documentation are appreciated,thanks!