Friday, June 19, 2009

Health care FSA problems

One simple fix for healthcare -
I recently found myself to be unemployed and had excess dollars in my employer sponsored Flex Spending Account. So I collected a list of miscellaneous receipts from Walgreens and applied for reimbursement. Here's a surprise - My claim was denied because I no longer worked there!

I called to complain, they said according to IRS rules, ERISA 502a, I am no longer a participant after my termination date, so any expenses incurred after that date are not valid - I may lose up to $900.00! I thought it was my money - guess not. I can elect COBRA, which would extend my FSA, but it would cost me $250 per month, and where would I get the money to pay for that? from my FSA??

Now I have to go back to each doctor and try to get receipts from Jan thru my last day of work.

Hey Washington - how about changing the rules to allow me to spend my OWN money on my OWN healthcare even if I am unemployed??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments positive and constructive, pragmatism and results documentation are appreciated,thanks!